Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Middle School Makeup 101: Products

(Courtesy of Geogirl)
Time to time, I'll be doing "101" posts with some tips and tricks for the new and the old in the makeup world. I'm not going to claim seniority; I've been using makeup for only 15 months or so. These products will all be drugstore. But it can't hurt to give some advice - so!

In my personal opinion, a girl is old enough to start wearing makeup when she hits middle school. I will never recommend jumping into blue eyeshadow and orange lipstick, and my policy stays the same here. Mascara and lipgloss are totally appropriate for the sixth grade.

A personal favorite mascara is Covergirl lashblast - you've seen it a few times already! It gives good volume, a very easy to use brush, and most imporantly (for me) holds a curl!

In addition to the mascara, I highly reccomend a lash curler to everyone, especially to people like me with arrow straight Asian lashes. My absolute favorite is the Tweezerman Lash Curler - a perfect curl, no crimp at all! And it comes with 4 pads for replacements!

I don't personally use much lip gloss - EOS Sweet Mint lip balm is my main lip products. However, the NYX Mega Shine glosses have gotten many rave reviews. A lightly tinted, slightly glossy lip finish is what we're looking for, so anything in the sheer range is good to go.

Once a girl has learned the ropes of middle school and is no longer the bottom of the totem pole (AKA 7th grade), some new makeup signifies the maturity. 7th grade is also the year where American children turn into teenagers.

Blemishes start popping up around this age (or earlier for the less fortunate) and spot concealing (instead of foundation) is less harsh to the skin. My favorite concealer, not even high end, is Rimmel London Match Perfection concealer. I personally cut off the brush on mine as it wasn't helping anything (I use my fingers to apply concealer). I use this for both under eye circles when I'm concerned about them, and the occasional pimple.

Now, many parents are wary of handing eyeliner to their budding teens in fear of making a mini Taylor Momsen or Avril Lavigne. But who said eyeliner only has to be raccoon black? ELF offers a very nice cream eyeliner for only 3$, and it comes in a rainbow of colors, including a non-offending brown. It also includes a free brush that doesn't suck!

Once you reach 8th grade, you're the top of the pyramid. And nothing shows more about being the oldest and more mature in the school than a classy champagne across the lids. My favorite afforable palette is NYX Champagne and Caviar - 10 neutral shadows for 10$! 7 of the shades are perfect light lid shades for school, whiles the 3 mattes can be used to make some killer formal makeup for graduation dance, banquet, and the ceremony (see my drugstore smokey eye tutorial).
                                                     
I strongly believe every girl should own at least 2 eye brushes - a flat shader and a blending brush. And more if possible. I'm an eyeshadow addict- I'll admit that. Ecotools offers a great eye kit with my 2 necessaries and more!

Society has a stereotype of middle school girls smacking on orange foundation, bright blue eyeshadow, and orange lipstick on to go to school. You don't have to be a clown. You can prove to your parents that you are responsible for your face, that you know moderation, and that you are ready to grow up in the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment